Friday, April 18, 2014

Send me on my way


Source


Good Friday is upon us...and if you are observing, you are going to be looking for something that is not brimming with lots of meat.  And I found something that just might satisfy the biggest carnivores out there.  

Maybe.

I am sure there will be critics.

Whatever.

First things first....how have you all felt about having me back around most of the week?  Personally, for me, its been quite nice.  I feel more like me again...which is always good!  I've also been trying to give up my diet of crap and have been pretty successful for the past 24 hours...baby steps people!  So I am feeling good!    So far anyway...and if the weather holds (finally), I just might be able to get out in the yard and play in the dirt soon!  I may have mentioned, I am planning a big vegetable garden...OK, maybe not huge, but its going to be the biggest space I have ever dedicated to growing food in my yard, so...anyway, my seeds have sprouted and are probably going to want to establish themselves in the ground soon, so I am hoping the weather cooperates...instead of dumping more snow on us like it did the other day.  When I do get things in the ground, I shall post pics from the beginning of the seeds...and then updates throughout the summer.  Hopefully I will be doing some serious harvesting!

Now...the poll.  Some of you thought I really wanted to make that bird nest cake and thought I was doing a bit of reverse psychology on you all.  I wasn't.  I was dreading the thought of that one winning.   As you can see over there on the right...the poll closed yesterday morning.  What won??  Well, the option I said nothing about...just call it a day and go buy one.  I am pleased to say, that was the dark horse I was hoping would win!  I am going to have a serious time crunch, so this was really the best option!  I got a really cool new kitchen gadget for Christmas that I will be utilizing for the first time, so when I pick up the fabulous cake I ordered (along with the super cool looking bread) from the amazing bakery at my corner, and I used said kitchen magic to make some fruit magically transform (IF it works...) I promise to show you all pictures!

So...back to today... 

Good Friday Dinner.

What are you gonna make??

How about this?

Leeky Linguine with Shrimp
Source

Ingredients
1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt and black pepper
1 pound fresh linguine
4 leeks, trimmed, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise and washed
1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
1/3 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)

Directions
In a bowl, toss the shrimp with 2 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil, the lemon peel, garlic and crushed red pepper; season with salt and black pepper.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 5 minutes.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, about two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, season with salt and black pepper and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Push the leeks to the side of the pan, add the shrimp to the skillet and cook until pink and firm. Pour in the wine and stir, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add the pasta to the skillet; season with salt and black pepper. Add the parsley and toss.

I mean...as long as you like shrimp, you're all good, right?  If shrimp is not your thing, substitute it with your favorite seafood...or, no seafood at all.  I'm just saying!

****************************************


Now...some food for thought...

Source




6 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed seeing you around and that shrimp recipe is one I'm writing down. I still make that potato leek soup - so good.

    My mom is taking my brother and I out for Easter dinner so no cooking, no dishes for us. It's a nice treat.

    Hope you have a happy and delicious Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't supposed to eat meat today? But I've already eaten some grilled chicken. I actually forgot it was Good Friday. I remembered Easter was this Sunday at least. Good luck with the vegetable garden. It'll really help with the bills as well as eating right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buying an Easter cake is definitely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum on the shrimp but it is beef on the menu at our house tonight. Store-bought won? I never saw that coming. Enjoy your holiday and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pasta and sea food - one of my fave combos! and like you, I need to rein in my terrible diet. I've also stopped exercising - bad. New start after Easter, I say! Hope you have a good one Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't actually think you were using reverse psychology, you know. I just wanted to be a terrible human being. Cough.

    That dish sounds amazing, but it makes me crave this shrimp stuffed avocado I had a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete