Thursday, April 10, 2014

Birdhouse In Your Soul

***AS OF THURSDAY, APRIL 10, 2014 AT 9:30 AM EST, THE POLL IS OPEN!!!  PLEASE SEE THE POST BELOW AND THEN PLACE YOUR VOTE OVER ON THE RIGHT!!!  CHECK BACK IN A WEEK TO SEE THE RESULTS!**
Source




Hello again, and I welcome you with one of my favorite songs of all time!

I am back again!  

So, yesterday I mentioned that I was going to show you all two cakes and then put it to a vote...which one shall I make for Easter???  I think I was pretty clear that I am voting for yesterday's cake...mostly because of my crappy cake decorating skills.  However, today's cake is REALLY cool looking.  I have not attempted this one yet...but if it wins, I will.  I promise.  I just kinda hope it doesn't.

Now, I am just going to share with you the recipe as I found it...which is carrot cake with chocolate frosting, which, quite frankly, sounds like vomit to me.  I get why carrot...Easter Bunny likes her carrots.  I also get chocolate frosting...because, well, you will see.  But the flavor profile???  No.  The original author claims it is delicious, but I just don't see it...
IF this cake wins, I will be using yellow cake.  Call me boring, but if I am gonna make this, I am not putting the effort in to the decoration to have no one eat it...no way in hell.

So, what I am gonna do is post the recipe as I usually do, but I am also going to post a link to the site I found it on so you can check out the step by step directions, because maybe YOU want to make it!

Easter Bird Nest Cake

CAKE (and mind you, this is a mighty fine sounding carrot cake recipe!)
Ingredients
2 cups of unbleached flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
3/4 cup of white sugar
3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
2 cups of grated carrots
1 cup of crushed pineapple
1/2 cup of chopped pecans (optional)

Directions
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl and whisk together well.  Set aside.
In your mixing bowl beat together sugars, eggs, oil and vanilla until smooth.  Gradually add flour and spice mixture until well combined.  With mixer set on low, add carrots, pineapple and pecans.
Pour into prepared cake pans or cupcake pans.
Bake cakes at 350° for 40 minutes until cake tester comes out clean.  For X-large cupcakes bake for approximately 28 minutes at 350° until cake tester comes out clean.  Let cool in baking pans before removing to cooling racks.

ICING (this is the Magnolia Bakery butter cream recipe...)
Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
6 to 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.) Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.  (PLEASE NOTE, TO MAKE ENOUGH FROSTING, DOUBLE THE RECIPE...AND TO MAKE IT CHOCOLATE...ADD A 10 OUNCE PACKAGE (MELTED IN A DOUBLE BOILER AND COOLED TO LUKEWARM TEMPERATURE) PACKAGE OF MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS).

Cake Assembly:
Three layers of carrot cake, cooled.  Apply a layer of butter cream icing between each layer as you stack your layers.

When the top layer has been added, cut a line approximately 4″ in diameter around the center of the layer.
Using a small off-set spatula, cut all around the circle just deep enough to go through the top layer only.  

Apply frosting around the remains of the top layer and inside the *nest.*  Finish dirty icing the entire cake.  Set in the fridge to cool before applying the finished layer of frosting.

When cake has cooled, remove from fridge and apply final coat of frosting.  Smooth out the frosting around entire cake.

Fill a piping bag with the milk chocolate butter cream.  Using a #4 tip, begin piping lines in random directions and random lengths.  Start piping insides the nest being and then work your way to the outside top of the cake.

Once you have completed piping the nest on the top layer, begin piping the sides of the cake. 
Once your *nest* design has been completed, fill the nest with your choice of colored candy Easter eggs.

Do you see how much work that is???  Since I am going to be working around the holiday, I will have to use a box cake mix.  I am fine with that....and one of the girls at work gave me an awesome idea for the birds nest - instead of all the icing (and since I declared my love for coconut to you all yesterday...) coconut tossed in cocoa powder.  Yes.  Think about it.  It could work!

So here is the link to the article in which I found the recipe...step by step pictures for assembly!


*******************************************

And some food for thought...

Source

Chew on that...and have mercy on me when voting!











10 comments:

  1. That's an epic cake. The candy eggs in the middle is simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days...when my work schedule isn't all jacked up. SO MUCH WORK on that cake!

      Delete
  2. That is one fun looking cake. I can see why you don't want it to win. I'm kind of torn now because I want you to step outside your comfort zone, but that's a little past a little past your comfort zone. I'm going to have to with yesterday's one. Maybe you could work on your cake decorating skills and make this one next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And its not to say I wouldn't mind trying it...I just don't know what my work schedule is going to be Easter weekend, so I am just concerned about the time that needs to go into it! And my decorating skills are not so great, but my mother in law (who used to make amazing cakes) says I am doing well. So, the practice I am doing must be helping!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I vote for Ambrosia Cake for sure then! Carrot cake with chocolate frosting? Should be a federal offence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's wrong with people? The thought of carrot cake and chocolate sounds interesting, like salty chocolate or chocolate covered bacon. I'm all for it. I'm actually a tiny little bit upset you'd do it in yellow cake if it wins.

    Anyway. I know where my vote is going. I red both recipes, saw the effort they take, and noted that you really want the ambrosia cake to win. Reverse psychology in full effect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Su cake nido es perfecto muy lindo para mis niños,abrazos y saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, you're going to hate me, but I vote for the one you don't want to make. It sounds like it will challenge you more. But I'd make it yellow cake, too.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't hate me either but I say the nest one. Headed up to vote now.

    ReplyDelete