Thursday, December 5, 2013

What if?

Source



Welcome to Thursday again!  Yes folks, I started posting a week ago, and I am still here!  This has been an adjustment week for me, that's for sure.  I have been so tired...and its like I keep thinking I'm just on vacation...not just working part time.  I'm sure next week it will seem more real to me!

So, again, its Throwback Thursday.  And do I ever have an amazing post to go back to look at! This has got to be one of my all time favorite posts ever!  It had the most comments I have ever received AND its totally festive.  It was written by one of my favorite people in the whole world - even if he does live on the other side of it from me!!  

So without further adieu...

********************************************************

Originally published Wednesday, December 19, 2012


It all started on my birthday last year.  D4AM was awesome enough to wish me a happy birthday in a post in a song that I had suggested to him.  That's where Anne came in...Anne wanted to wish me a happy birthday too and came on over to my place and due to some technical difficulties, she was unable to leave a comment, but she decided to follow anyway.  D4AM then left me a comment (no difficulties on his side - it happens!) and left me the super sweet comment she left for him to give to me!  I guess you could say the rest is history, because were it not for that day and Anne coming on over to wish me well (and enjoy a little Iggy) I never would have found Elsie or Dezzy (and a couple of others too!).  Whatever would I do without them??  

Yes, over the course of this year, lucky me has had the honor of having these folks stop by my little blog often and leaving me comments!  I even got most of them (I'm looking at YOU Elsie!!) to write a guest post...and now it is Dezzy's turn! Lucky us.  For real.  I had a sneak peak at the post and WOW!  Good stuff lies ahead!  

AND, for everyone coming over from Dezzy's page for the first time, WELCOME!!  I hope you come back again and again!  We love to eat over here...and listen to music and tell stories.  And cats! Cats make us happy...and the occasional moppet of a puppy!
*****************************************************
DEZZY'S CHRISTMAS MAGIC
Well, hello there my little Melmaniacs! Are you ready for DEZZY'S CHRISTMAS MAGIC? Mel invited me to her place as a
 
shiny celebrity guest :) who will share a few Christmas recipes with you, so here we go! Hope you will enjoy them and try them yourself.
CINNAMON DELIGHT
This is a lovely and light cake which remains soft and fresh for more than a week and, like all my other cakes, has no eggs in it. I've came up with CINNAMON DELIGHT a few years ago and ever since it has been one of my bestselling ones since nobody else here in my Vojvodina makes cinnamon flavoured cakes.
MAGICAL INGREDIENTS
FOR THE CAKE:
2 cups buttermilk
1,3 cups sugar
0,6 cup sunflower oil
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1tbsp vanilla
100g chocolate or 3 tbsp cocoa powder
HOW THE MAGIC HAPPENS
Mix buttermilk with sugar and vanilla and then mix in oil. Then mix in flour and baking powder and add melted chocolate or cocoa. Pour it into a rectangular baking pan (brushed with some oil and sprinkled with flour) and bake in the oven for 15-20
minutes at 200*C. The cake will be done very quickly so be careful. It won't change colour so use a toothpick to check if it's baked. The cake is supposed to be very soft, moist and spongy so DO NOT overbake it. When the cake cools down cut horizontally to get two sheets of cake.
FOR THE FILLING
2,5 dcl milk
100g -150g sugar
400g cinnamon crackers or cookies (crushed into fine powder)
250g butter
HOW THE MAGIC HAPPENS
Cook the milk with sugar, remove from the stove and add crushed cinnamon crackers. In my recipe I use famous Speculaas Dutch cookies since they give the most amazing flavour. When this thickens and cools down mix it with butter. Spread this filling on one sheet of the cake, cover with the second sheet and use the rest of the filling to ice the cake by putting it into your piping bag.I've also used chocolate puffs for decoration.

DEZZY'S CHRISTMAS TIPS
Since in my own house I prefer minimalistic elegance and modern style, I tend to avoid traditional decorations at Christmas. A good tip if you want something refined
 and simple is decorating your house with see-through plates and vases which you will fill with Christmas balls in not more than two colours. I chose the blue and brown d├ęcor  last year.

RUM BOMBS
These rum bombs are great fun to make and are always a huge hit at parties and posh events since they look very refined and decadent :)
MAGICAL INGREDIENTS
FOR THE CAKE
Use the same recipe as in CINNAMON DELIGHT, but add 0,5 cup of grind walnuts or hazelnuts into the mix.
FOR THE FILLING
1dcl rum
2-3 tbsp apricot jam
some grind or crushed hazelnuts
HOW THE MAGIC HAPPENS
When the cake cools down, cut small circular shapes using a round cake mold. Crush and mash the leftover cake into fine crumbs and mix with a few tablespoons of apricot jam and rum to
get creamy mixture which you will then use to connect your round pieces of cake two by two (be generous with the filling). Then use a knife and spread the mixture around the cakes as well (but not on top) and roll them in a plate of crushed hazelnuts. You can top the little cakes with some melted chocolate to add the final shiny touch :).

CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Honouring the tradition of my dear host Mel, I must leave you with a song, in this occasion my favourite Christmas one: it's WONDERFUL DREAM from Melanie Thornton. Although the festive melody of the famous song cheers me up every time, the song also makes me sad because lovely Melanie Thornton died in a car accident a few years ago. Back in the 90's she was a singer in popular dance duo LA BOUCHE. 

***************************************

So there you have it!!  Thanks to Dezzy for this amazing guest post and for becoming such a great friend!!

**************************************************

And you can chew on this food for thought for a couple of weeks...my major announcement is that Dezmond Hunt, our dear Hollywood Spy will be doing ANOTHER SUPER SHINY FABULOUS CHRISTMAS GUEST POST ON WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2013!!!!!!!  YAAAAAAAY!!!


Source


21 comments:

  1. I do so love Kate Winslet's WHAT IF song! I'd sing it at an audition if I was ever to appear at X FACTOR or IDOL :)
    So, Mel, have you tried to make these cakes yourself after this? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, with all of the drama that went down last December, I just ran out of time. This year is another story!! I really want to make those rum bombs....Just not entirely sure I'll be able to eat them this Christmas...

      Delete
    2. And I remembered you telling me how much you loved this song :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmmm Rum Bombs! Please tell me where you found the widget code for the snowflakes, all the ones I've tried don't work.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe this should be where I found them...that would explain why I have it bookmarked!! Fingers crossed for you! And make sure you check back in a couple of weeks! Dezzy is a master in the kitchen!
      http://24work.blogspot.com/2011/12/add-falling-snowflakes-yahoo-smiley.html

      Delete
  3. Those are some tasty looking treats! I believe Rum Bombs are in my future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. methinks Bubba would love them, Sherry

      Delete
    2. I really need to make them this year...

      Delete
  4. Ahh I remember Dezzy's visit. It's good you're still sticking around Mel. Good luck keeping it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope my new visit later this month will be memorable too, Mark

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mark! I think the break really did me some good! I feel all in again!

      And Dez...there is no way your visit later this month could not be memorable!

      Delete
  5. Every party should have Rum Bombs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because a party isn't a party until you unleash the Rum Bombs!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I remember you posted that cinnamon cake last year, Dezzy. I'm going to try it this time. Looks wonderful, and I've been in a baking mood lately. :)

    And thanks for the conversion charts, Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't forget to report how it turned out, Lu :)

      Delete
  7. I remember this from last last year! Especially the pretty blue ornaments in the dish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will put some sparkly chocolate brown ornaments in the plate this year with a hint of Tudor Petroleum Blue

      Delete
  8. A jam packed post! Well done to both of you!

    ReplyDelete