Monday, December 9, 2013

Miss You Most at Christmastime



Source




Good morning!  I hope you all had a nice weekend!  I spent mine working.  I can't complain though.  After leaving work Sunday morning, I have officially worked half of my shifts for the entire month of December!

I was hoping to start my baking hard core today, but my back decided it didn't feel like supporting my body today, so I'm not sure if that is going to happen.  We'll see...its still early yet!

Well, I promised you all some pictures of my holiday decor, so here you go...

The tree all decorated

Holly (our new kitten that came to live with us when we lost a kitty a few months ago...) doing her best to blend in!

I got an early Christmas present!

Some new decor!  Its glass, so it couldn't go on the tree...because of little Holly!

My wreath

The front porch

We decided to decorate Holly...with some holly

My light display out front.  I made all of the trees myself.  I was hoping for there to be some snow,  since the lights look so much prettier, but who knows if we'll have any...got a dusting last night, but that could be it.  If we do we a bunch of snow, I'll take another picture!


So there you have it.  That's what I have done so far.  

As for today...I know I've been doing this  a lot lately, but it will be another throwback post...tomorrow too.  I have good reason.  There just happens to be lots of things that have happened at Christmastime the past couple of years that have made a huge impact on my life and how I celebrate the holidays.  So, bear with me...its worth it, I promise!

**************************************************

Originally published Monday, December 10, 2012





I am still reeling from the shock of losing my Grandma.  I mean, I knew this day was coming, but it doesn't mean that I was anymore ready for it to happen.  Of course, I am writing in advance.  I spent Sunday baking up a storm.  It kept me from crying all day.  I think.  I can't remember if I wrote this yesterday, but I am planning to take cookies to the funeral home to share with everyone that comes.  Her cookies made everyone smile.  People asked for them.  Margaret's Cookies.  There was nothing like them.  I mean, mine taste good and all, but they will never be the same because Grandma didn't make them.  And I am just fine with that fact.  One day, when I have grandchildren, they will feel the same about mine.  

The upside to this sad situation is that I will get to see a bunch of people that I haven't seen in a very long time.  Not just family, but I think I have mentioned that I was in a theatre group with my grandparents for several years, so we shared friends too.  The last time I saw many of them was at another funeral.  That is just sad.  Unfortunately the hours I work keep me from many things.  Although it is under sad circumstances, it will be nice to see everyone.  Grandma always had a way of bringing people together.

All of this thinking of her has solidified my thoughts about my Christmas Eve dinner.  I am going to make everything she did...its that simple.  It may not be what we usually do with recognizing the traditions of another country for our celebration, but I think this year nothing else would feel right.

The recipe I am going to share with you today is something that my Grandma would make for holidays sometimes.  I think it just depended on if she had a taste for it...and she was the cook, so I think that's fair!  It reminds me of her, and I love it, and its super easy to make.  (Although, she made the most difficult things seem effortless!)

Slow Cooker Sauerkraut and Sausage

Ingredients
1 (20 ounce) can sauerkraut
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 pounds smoked sausage, sliced 
1 onion, sliced

Directions
In a medium bowl, combine the sauerkraut and brown sugar. then place in slow cooker. Arrange the sausage and onion over the sauerkraut.
Cook on high for two hours, check for dryness, adding some water if necessary, then reduce to low setting, and cook on low for two more hours.

So, for the next couple of days, I will be able to moderate comments from my phone...and I look forward to reading them...I need some normalcy to look forward to!  However, I will probably not be able to comment...unless I can't sleep!  Which is a distinct possibility.  Tomorrow I will have a bunch of cookie recipes for you.  Fitting really.

Here I go with my day...deep breaths!


***************************************************

Yes, this year was a lot easier, but yesterday was the actual anniversary.  I have to admit, I cried a lot yesterday.  I spoke to my grandpa, and he is having a hard time, but all things considered he is doing very well.  He had a stroke right before she passed away and was still recovering.  He's have a huge year and is feeling a lot better.  He still misses her like crazy - he always will! He has started baking too.  I love that.  He's keeping her memory alive.

And your food for though today...its just something pretty.  That's all.

Source









10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Very cool.

      You can tell where my head is: All of those cool Christmas decorations, and the dragon is all i see.

      Delete
    2. It is pretty cool. We got it at a Farmers market in Munising, MI over the summer. It's made out of scrap metal.

      And don't swear where your mind is... I have all of this Christmas cheer around me and my mood is crap!

      Delete
  2. There's no Christmas tree without a kitteh in it! Holly is such a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dezzy. She's a little trouble maker, but she's just so sweet!

      Delete
  3. I hope you aren't too sad this Christmas. The holidays are supposed to be a time of joy and merriment, no matter the tragedies that have befallen us in the past. The tree looks amazing, but nothing can beat a little kitten. Especially a decorated little kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas is always one of the hardest holidays for missing those who are no longer with us. Hugs to you. And to Holly the Adorable Kitty too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your back feels better. Love the outside. Very nicely done. Yes, some snow would really be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't see that cat there at all. Then I read the comment under it and it STILL took me a minute..

    ReplyDelete