Sunday, January 6, 2013

Trout




Hi.  Welcome to Monday.  How was your weekend?  I can tell you that so far (as I am writing in advance because I am unable to fall asleep for some unknown reason) I've been sick as hell.  BUT, we had two kitties that we have been trying to rehome for a long while (they were super nice boys but they only get along  with each other, so in order to maintain the peace among the animals, we thought it best to find them somewhere that they could be happy.  And we finally did after a couple of years of  searching for the right home!)  So that was good.  The bad thing was the hour it took us to find the one cat in the house as he decided to hide inside the bar.  When we FINALLY retrieved him, he got scared (not that I blame him...I'd probably be scared too were I in his paws) and he attacked my hand and leg and belly.  I have some pretty deep scratches, some of which are bruising and they hurt like hell.  I guess the compliment the achiness of the virus that is spending the weekend.

But really it is only about twenty minutes after I wrote the post from last night, so other than listening to my daughter air pop some popcorn and watching kind of a boring NFL Playoff game (Cincinnati Bengals vs The Houston Texans...yawn..sorry if you dig them!) not much else has happened, so what more can I say?

So, I mentioned yesterday that I might post some music that means something to me.  So, I decided to go with that.  Today's song reminds me of the summer I was 19.  My best friend Erin and I were at a party and for some reason when this song came on someone asked me to sing the girl part...and luckily I knew the song.  Well, Erin had really not heard me sing before, and her reaction was priceless.  I don't want to brag, but she was impressed.  From that point on she was always pushing me to sing... particularly Patsy Cline (LOVE HER!)  and she always said she could envision me singing "Son of a Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield.  I probably did when we were out at some point, I can't remember.  But that song doesn't really inspire a recipe in me, so I went with Trout.

So can you guess what the featured food in today's recipe is going to be?  (And by the way...this week may not totally follow the usual routine, so don't be surprised!)

Let's do this...

Baked Trout Saratoga

Ingredients
1 (4 pound) whole trout, cleaned
salt and pepper to taste
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1 lemon, cut into wedges
4 sprigs fresh parsley

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9x13 inch baking dish. Season the trout inside and out with salt and pepper to taste, and place in baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, olive oil, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, and minced garlic. Spread evenly over the fish.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until fish flakes easily. Baste during baking with wine. Serve garnished with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs


****************************************
You know what's next...


***************************************************
And one last thing...for my mom...



Happy Birthday

And a little P.S....now my internet browser is being a total bitch...if I can't comment for a bit, that would be why.  Really...these technical difficulties are getting on my last nerve, but if my browser shuts itself off one more time, my head is going to explode!

27 comments:

  1. I'm not too fond of trout but each to their own. I'm glad you found a home for the kitties but I'm always sad when a kitty leaves a home. If it was that long I'd have kept the little guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was necessary...there were wicked cat fights and we had to keep them separated all the time. It really want fair to anyone. This way they have a chance to be the sweet boys they are without the fear of a fight looming...and the stress level in our home is greatly reduced too!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the happy thought Dez .
    "Burning Down The House"would have worked as an extra song with the cake . I did have a cupcake at Cathy's :) and I now have 12 beautiful jewel- tone roses!
    love you baby girl,
    mumma
    think good thoughts and send positive energy your Dad's way today too. It is his day of medical scans and tests .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! And perhaps next weekend we can bust it the talking heads when I make The Cake!

      Delete
    2. be welcome, Marcia, hope Mel baked you a cake today!

      Delete
    3. I'm making a very special cake for later in the week!

      Delete
  3. 1. hope you feeling better (and internet too)
    and 2 happy belated birthday to your mom:)
    3 i love this baked trout; I made fish yesterday but fry!! yes I know is not healthy but I love fry fish lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing like a good fish fry...and every once in a while it's ok!! And I thank you!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Mel's mom!

    I love Patsy Cline and when I was younger, I could hit those notes-not anymore though. We would love to hear you sing. If you ever find a way to record something post it.

    That trout recipe looks great. This summer, if I can find a decent lake, I'd like to do some fishing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know...I just might, though my singing these days is confined to my car!

      I can't wait to fish this year either...maybe I'll actually catch something! And did you know the trout is my state fish? Crazy!!

      Delete
  5. How fun is that Happy Birthday. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she got a kick out of it!!

      Delete
  6. Love trout -I only wish I had the opportunity to enjoy it more often. Happy birthday to Mom :) Take care - hope that nasty flu is on it's way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My fingers are crossed!

      Delete
  7. Great picture but trout was always a bitch to prepare, happy birthday to mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran! And please let Ray know that my dumb ass accidentally deleted his comment and I'm sorry!

      Delete
  8. I don't think I've ever had trout before...

    Also, please don't tell me you're using Internet Explorer. If you are, make the switch to Firefox or Chrome already. Much faster and more stable browsers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hell no!! Comodo Dragon is my browser of choice. I have a feeling it is more our new internet provider's issue than mine!

      Delete
  9. I hope you're getting over the cooties!! That is a badass song too - I was trying to think of how old I was when it came out - and all I can say is, "A long time ago..." Lol!! Happy Birthday to your momz! And funny you posted a trout recipe - that's my dad's favorite fish to eat - is trout a big Michigan thing?? Another big Michigan thing I miss is a good smelt fry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the official fish of the state of Michigan, so yes!! And thank you, thank you and thank you!! I am feeling a bit better - no raging fever any longer. I can at least think straight!!

      I'm looking forward to Lent - all the church fish fries on Fridays...YUMMY! (Some even offer take out service!)

      Delete
  10. I love that picture for your mom's birthday! Happy birthday to her.

    Just a thought, but have you cleared out all of your history? It may just be a matter of being cluttered and clogged.

    Also, can you send me your email again so I can write the post for you about food? I kinda, sorta, deleted it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elsie...I thought it was fun...just like she is!

      As for the computer issues...I think our internet provider is having growing pains...and its just a coincidence that it happened right after blogger was giving me a hard time!

      AND...look for an email tonight!!

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday to your Mom.

    I sing (like there's nobody listening LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trout? Really? I thought it'd be cinnamon or something. Hmph! Lol. I don't think I've ever had trout. I don't know if I should try it. It's scary.

    If your browser's giving you issues, use another browser. I always have a backup. If you use Firefox have Safari or Chrome or something, if you use Chrome use Iron... if you use Internet Explorer use anything else. So on and so forth. That might be why your comments weren't getting through some places you know. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i sing like nobody is listening (i know they really like it) i dance like no one is watching, and i thank y'all for my birthday wishes. let's get together and sing mel, or you can sing and i can scat. like i did when i was driving you and your little brother around town in the way back years.
    love you baby girl and all of your people too!
    mumma

    ReplyDelete