Friday, December 14, 2012

Your Saturday Christmas Bonus - Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies





I know, I know...you guys could give a crap about Epic Meal Time right now...but we're cool, right?

So, I am back to work, for a few days anyway.  Hopefully it is a welcome distraction and I am not a complete disaster.  No matter.  I work for six days and then my vacation begins.  If I got through this past week,  I can certainly make it through the next few days of work!  I really can't believe that Christmas is right around the corner...I mean, it really is!  I feel good that we decided once and for all what kind of meal we would be having, and it will be a great comfort to be eating grandma's food!

Anyhow, I was trying to think of something really cool to show you all today...you know, something up beat and happy!?!  Well, my searching brought me to this amazing article that had way too many ideas for me to hijack, so I figured I would just give you all the link.  So here it is...


For real...do yourself a favor and check it out.  My mind got blown at lease 30 times!  Super cute ideas!!  

And well, that just didn't seem like enough, and I started thinking about Christmasy things and some sugar plums danced through my head, and I thought, there has to be a way to make sugar plums!  So how do you like that?  

Sugar Plums


Ingredients
2 cups whole almonds
¼ cup honey
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
1 cup finely chopped pitted dates
1 cup confectioners’ sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 400°. Arrange almonds on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast in oven for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool, then finely chop.
Meanwhile, combine honey, orange zest, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg in a medium mixing bowl. Add almonds, apricots, and dates and mix well.
Pinch off rounded teaspoon-size pieces of the mixture and roll into balls. (Rinse your hands often, as mixture is very sticky.) Roll balls in sugar, then refrigerate in single layers between sheets of waxed paper in airtight containers for up to 1 month. Their flavor improves after ripening for several days.

And just for kicks...



6 comments:

  1. Speaking of plums...I'm going to kick Ray in his!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work should be a pretty healthy and good distraction for you. Get yourself lost in it, and you'll be doing just fine. You can get through these next few days too. I will be checking out that link, I'm really curious about what I'll find there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you put our boy up there nom nom nom. Those were some great tips. Doing those chocolate Christmas trees looks easy peasy.

    I just made rice crispy s'mores last night. I've eaten most of them already. The Spawn is out of town, so I may not be around much. Hubby and I have some "catching up" to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a strange feeling Tard is watching the NutCatker's ballet and isn't liking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I clicked on the link! Some really fabulous ideas -- wish I had the time to try some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a few more days til vacation.. :) You can do it! Passing this recipe onto my sis. She'll love it.

    ReplyDelete